Saturday, August 11

CMS teacher arrested on child sex charges

While this crime did not occur in Raleigh, it hit close to home and I felt obligated to write about it.

Jerry Wayne Linton, 58, was a US History teacher at my high school, David W. Butler High School. There were lots of rumors about him - that he fought in a war, that he poured whiskey (or vodka, depending on who's telling the story) into the coffee he drank all day, and that he was a sexist, once making a remark that a girl can't possibly have the highest average in the class.

I don't know if any of these are credible. But I do know that Mr. Linton was arrested this week for three counts each of taking indecent liberties with a child, first-degree rape of a child under 13 and first-degree sex offense on a child under 13.

According to reports, he forced two boys and a girl to perform sex games, then forced the girl to give him oral sex. Two of the children involved are apparently relatives of Mr. Linton. He was being held on $375,000 bail.

He resigned from his teaching position at the high school in June when police started investigating. Rumor is he walked into the building (free of students, as it was summer) to resign with a young girl with him. Another rumor is he and his wife were foster parents.

Rumors aside, it's disheartening to know that someone I saw nearly every day for several years could do something so horrible. The same man who would nod at my geeky wave in the mornings has caused irreparable harm to three children, not to mention the rest of his family and the childrens' families.

Having written before about sex crimes, it is my belief that sex offenders cannot be rehabilitated. It takes a significant lack of morals to do something like this to begin with, but studies have shown sex offenders have a higher recidivism rate than all but one other group of criminals - drug users. I also believe sentences for sex offenders are much too generous. A three-time offender can still be punished with only parole.

In this case, I feel no different. Disbelief was my first reaction, but has since been replaced by a complete lack of respect and a small bit of hatred. We'll see what he is served with. Hopefully the justice system won't fail yet again...

Inmate Information; BadBadTeacher.com

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi I hope this reaches you. I decided to go on the web and look at him for the 1st time in years. I am that little girl you are talking about and yes he was a foster parent. He was my foster parent. I am grateful you share my story but I would like to know why? What made you want to write about it?

March 28, 2017 at 8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home